Friday, June 09, 2006

new art for Open Studio weekend

finally finished some of the small and medium sized paintings I've been working on. Not great photos, but you'll get the idea.
This first one came about from imagery I snapped w/ the digital camera on the road-trip Lisa and I took around Easter (I call this "image-poaching"--when I go in to an antique store and secretly take pictures of inspiring images--in this case, pictures from different children's books). I developed the design from my source-images first, then, well--I had just bought Neil Young's great new c/d, and was immediately inspired by one of the songs, whose title I painted on my picture...

"Sing-along" 24"x36" acrylic on panel (as always, click to enlarge)

This painting in turn inspired the small (I think it's 20"x20") one I put up at the Sebastopol Center for the Arts for the Open Studio preview show..







...you know...because he's a loser!
Oh, and then I finally finished "Trust"-which is somewhere around 28"square...
And here's a picture I stuggled over-which maybe is appropriate since it's sort of about confussion in general (and an exploration of teenage confussion in particular). I documented my process-which I'll share here-and I'll have to do this again, it was very interesting for me (it'll be more interesting on a larger piece)...
I was listening to Wilco when their song title, "Misunderstood", suggested mine...
























































Ok-I also just got back from Don (Jackson) some photos he took, including this one of a work I recently sold at Arches Gallery. It's sort of the companion piece to "The Memo"-also 48"x48". This one's called "Hello Kitty"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home