Thursday, November 09, 2006

Guess I've been distracted...

The people that follow this blog (all three or four of you) know I've been more than alittle obsessed lately. My next series of paintings? A new sketchbook with new ideas?
No. It was the election-and now, finally, that is over and I can get back to the pursuit of my calling. And I can do so with a renewed sense of hope.
Ok-so. I do have some new paintings about to be begun and some are actually from some of the new ideas I've put down in a new sketchbook, so I'll try to post some quick pics soon. Tomorrow Lisa and I head up north to Sea Ranch to hang with her dad and sister Karen's family-so that'll be fun. For now, I'll copy Lisa's post about our fun and art-filled trip to Oakland last Friday. We'd been hearing about this...a collection of new, young galleries concentrated in a formerly (?) sketchy neighborhood in Oakland-- who collectively have opening receptions on the first Friday of each month. It's called the Art Murmur. Here's a SF Chronicle article about the whole thing... and here's an interesting, longer article, that focuses on some of the potentially more controversial aspects: East Bay Express article. Anyways, we met up with friends Pati, Tara & Paul and hit the street, and it was more fun than we might have even imagined. Aside from the actual artwork displayed inside the galleries, there is a large component of block party, street theater, & performance art.
There was a dixieland jazz-style band playing; people were designing hats out of old sweaters and sewing them right on people's heads.
Many of our favorite actual pieces of art were at the Mercury 20 Gallery (formerly Robert Tomlinson's Studio & Gallery . He is someone both Lisa & I knew Way Back, when he showed art at his then store, 'Plate & Pallette'. (He sold one of my large paintings of my favorite model, Merav).
We also, completely by chance, ran into friends Elisa & Travis, who recently moved from Santa Rosa to Oakland. Elisa said they're about to write up a small business plan, and open a gallery/frame shop in this district. (Travis is the framer, Elisa a painter.) Excellent idea!

This is a nice guy I met, Eric. He said he was security (-'cuz you know how outta control those artists and their crowd can get)
This was one of our favorite artists: Tarra Lyons (she just e-mailed us with her name. We visited her website , and now we like her work even more! (click to enlarge any image)

& here's 2 more from the Mercury 20 Gallery--
Margaret Chavigny & Sheila Metcalf-Tobin.

















We were fascinated by these people designing hats on the street. I bet next time both Pati & Tara manage to get one made for them.































Two from the many rooms at Esteban Sabar.


... even stuffed bears need cigarette breaks.




that's Elisa & Travis on the left. (Elisa is gorgeous, and this photo doesn't do her justice! Also, apparently Travis has been seeing my barber.)




Kinetic sculture using... inflatable condoms, what else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home